In our third year as title sponsor, Waste Management has been busy transforming the Phoenix Open from the "Greatest Show on Grass" to the “Greenest Show on Grass”. To see how far we could push ourselves, in 2012 we issued our own "Zero Waste Challenge” - divert more than 90% of the used materials at the tournament to recycling and composting facilities and recover more than 70% in the form of recyclables or compost material.
To rise to the challenge, we installed recycling and composting bins across the entire course - eliminating trash cans entirely. We worked with vendors to ensure the materials they used could be recycled or composted. And we had 500 recycling ambassadors on hand to answer questions and help out in other ways.
We're delighted to report that our zero-waste goals were met, and are extremely grateful to the attendees, vendors and pros for their enthusiasm and participation in the challenge.
If we can do this at the world's largest golf tournament, imagine what we could do for you. To learn more about the green initiatives at the 2012 Waste Management Phoenix Open, please visit thinkgreen.com.
- 2013 Executive Sustainability Forum
- Creating some financial freedom for Philadelphia.
- Helping Kodak focus their operations uncovers millions of dollars in value.
- Helping Alcoa pick up value right off the floor.
- Diversion and resource management creates cost savings for BASF.
- Partnering with General Motors to turn packaging by-product material into raw material.
- Greenopolis Tracking - founded by a plastic water bottle.
- Introducing one of the best ideas under the sun.
- Plugging more people into e-cycling.
- Helping The Big Green Bus roll on.
- A recycling success that's a mile high.
- Rebooting Dell to go carbon neutral.
- Helping Cascades produce green with green.
- hardison/downey gains LEED® with help from Waste Management's new DART tool.
- Getting juiced about helping Tropicana.
- Generating positive energy with Audubon Arkansas.
- Green power for BMW. What a gas.
- Powering UNH in a smarter way.
- OSHA recognizes Wheelabrator for safety.
- Pioneers in Green Education.