Through a landmark partnership, Waste Management will supply the University of New Hampshire with enough landfill gas to enable UNH to receive 80% to 85% of their energy from this renewable source.
Called 'EcoLine,' this landfill gas project will send renewable, carbon-neutral landfill gas from Waste Management's landfill in Rochester directly to the Durham, NH, campus.
''By reducing the university's dependence on fossil fuels and reducing our greenhouse gas emissions, EcoLine is an environmentally and fiscally responsible initiative,'' said UNH President Mark Huddleston. ''UNH is proud to lead the nation and our peer institutions in this landmark step toward sustainability.''
In addition, the landfill gas will stabilize the university's fluctuating energy costs, which have doubled in the last five years and grown at an annual rate of 18.9%.
This program will also have a major impact on UNH's carbon dioxide emissions, reducing the university's greenhouse gas emissions an estimated 67% below 2005 levels and 57% below 1990 levels.
- 2013 Executive Sustainability Forum
- 2012 Waste Management Phoenix Open. A zero waste success.
- Creating some financial freedom for Philadelphia.
- Helping Kodak focus their operations uncovers millions of dollars in value.
- Helping Alcoa pick up value right off the floor.
- Diversion and resource management creates cost savings for BASF.
- Partnering with General Motors to turn packaging by-product material into raw material.
- Greenopolis Tracking - founded by a plastic water bottle.
- Introducing one of the best ideas under the sun.
- Plugging more people into e-cycling.
- Helping The Big Green Bus roll on.
- A recycling success that's a mile high.
- Rebooting Dell to go carbon neutral.
- Helping Cascades produce green with green.
- hardison/downey gains LEED® with help from Waste Management's new DART tool.
- Getting juiced about helping Tropicana.
- Generating positive energy with Audubon Arkansas.
- Green power for BMW. What a gas.
- OSHA recognizes Wheelabrator for safety.
- Pioneers in Green Education.